Your home is likely one of your most valuable assets. If part of your property is damaged or destroyed, you could be left with costly out-of-pocket expenses. Homeowners insurance, also known as home insurance, can provide financial protection from property damage and liability claims.
The right homeowners insurance coverage can provide peace of mind. Contact Hathaway Agency in Bronson, Michigan, for more information on our home insurance policies.
What Is Home Insurance?
Home insurance is a contract between you and your insurer. In exchange for your premium payments, your insurance company agrees to pay for covered losses up to your policy limits. If a covered loss occurs at your property, you can file a claim with your insurer to be reimbursed for damages. The claims process may vary with the type of claim (e.g., liability or property damage) and with your insurance company.
What Does Home Insurance Cover?
Homeowners insurance is often called a “package policy” because it can help pay for property damage and provide financial protection from liability claims.
Policies may vary among insurers, but the following are some common home insurance coverages for you to consider:
- Dwelling coverage can help pay for damage to structural aspects of your home (e.g., foundation or roof) from a covered peril.
- Other structures coverage can help pay for covered losses to additional structures on your property, such as a detached garage or fence.
- Personal property coverage can help pay to repair or replace your belongings if a covered peril causes them to be damaged or destroyed.
- Personal liability coverage can help pay for liability claims arising from allegations that you caused bodily injury or property damage to a third party.
- Additional living expenses can help cover your extra living costs if a covered event forces you to vacate your property temporarily.
You could be eligible for discounted rates if you purchase multiple insurance policies (e.g., home, auto or watercraft) from the same insurance company. This is a process known as “bundling.” Ask your insurance agent about potential savings, or contact Hathaway Agency for more information.
Is Home Insurance Required?
You’re not required by law to have home insurance, but it may be necessary to finance your home. Most mortgage lenders require proof of insurance to approve your loan as a way to protect their financial stake in your property. However, even if you don’t have a mortgage, you should consider home insurance to provide financial protection and personal liability coverage.
Where Do I Buy Homeowners Insurance?
We’re here to help. Contact Hathaway Agency to learn more about homeowners insurance coverage and to get a free home insurance quote today.